Actually had a fair amount of things to do today that kept me busy. For starters I was awaken around 0800 hrs. and told to report to Admin. for some paperwork that needed signing "like right now". After a quick cigarette and Mt. Dew (needed to clear the fog in my head) I wandered through the motorpool for one of(possibly the) last time(s) thinking back on all the time spent there. The chock blocks we buried and painted for the parking spots on our line could use a bit of re-adjustment, the ropes we pulled and laser-leveled are musssed, and the whole area could use another combing.
The paperwork turned out to be just the sworn statement that I wrote back before leave when I had to get the staples in my head. Being as I was in Admin. and needed to complete my Post Deployment Health Assesment I decided to avoid another trip and got that done. During this process I discovered that my ID had some issues and I needed to travel up to Zone I to that I could get it taken care of.
One bus ride, a stop for a haircut, and multiple orders for Taco Bell later (along with an hour plus wait) I had my shiny new ID, lunch, and picked up a steak for later. During the evening Hawkeye 3-1 had our last BBQ as a squad. SPC Griggs is leaving us soon to return to Hawaii for a short time before heading to Afghanistand with his brother's National Guard unit from out East. After the BBQ I was able to get in some quality time chatting with my bartender (for good or bad I forgave her and we've ended up actually getting closer). After a short nap, tomorrow became today.
The day started with an accountability formation to make sure all of us who were supposed to be in the Shire were. Turns out we are, go figure. From there it was updating paperwork for leaving this place. We have yet to be given an actual date for our flight however, by best estimations we are now single-digit midgets! Give or take a few days and that will apply not just to going to Ft. McCoy but being home with our families in Iowa :)
It is starting to sink in (finally) that the long wait to go home is now a short one. Last night just before lights out a company from our battalion that has just arrived stopped by to buy pretty much everything and anything we'd sell them as far as creature comforts for their up-coming year. The barracks are starting to look sparse, with few of us having any packing left to do (being a procrastinator I still have some finalyzing to do of my own bags). Everyone is settling into a more relaxed, yet at the same time excited, mood. We are going home soon and we know it.
Be safe
~~~
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment