2008-09-30

Personal Observations and Some Responses

Had some time the last week or so to make some personal observations about my new platoon. On the 1133's books we are listed as Second Platoon, but under the newer, larger company we are Third Platoon. As far as truck platoons go I have now been a member off First, Second, and Third. I think that's a hat trick, but I'm not quite sure.

The current platoon has an interesting composition. We have members originally from the 1133, some that transferred over, some that were made to transfer over, and some that are straight out of initial training. Some of us are one-time veterans, some two, some from Afghanistan the others Iraq, and then there are even a few who served in Desert Storm. The majority of us are veterans, and I've noticed that everyone freely shares their experiences with not just the non-veterans, but the other veterans as well. Over all, everyone brings something unique to the platoon and we have meshed together as a family/team quite well.

Just in a short while I've noticed complete strangers becoming fast and solid friends, older friendships become even stronger, and everyone getting along. To date I have yet to see any personality conflicts or anyone not watching out for everyone else. From the point of view of someone who's safety is partially dependent upon those around them, I find comfort in how well the platoon has come together. I cannot say how it is for the other platoons, but from what I've seen while out and about with them I would think the situation is pretty much the same with them as well. The unit is definitely one I'd go to war with...which is a good thing considering that's what we are preparing to do eventually.

So, on to the responses. Either via comments here or emails I have received its been asked when the send off is for the 1133. As it stands the TENTATIVE date is going to be 30October2008. At present we have not been given a time. The location is dependent upon what city the unit members are from. The 1133's send-off will be at our armory in Mason City. For most of us this will be the last time we see our families until we return from overseas after deployment.

Another questions I've been asked was how I remembered all that information about Ur. That one was easy...I took notes. Back when the unit was at Camp Virginia waiting to return home to the states I did some research online. Being forgetful at times, I emailed myself all the links to where I found any information. While I was making the slide shows I did some further research to try to keep my information correct and up to date.

Well that's all for now. With luck this will be posted around 30September...for those interested, I wrote it Saturday morning. I think the delayed publishing options on Blogger could be useful for OPSEC. Hopefully the COC will think so as well.

~~~

No comments: