While we were waiting for the run to begin something strange that I’d almost forgotten could occur started to happen: it began to rain.
Luckily it was only some light sprinkles, not even what Iowans would consider a drizzle, and stopped after a few minutes. Pretty much just enough to get the blacktop wet. The run went well and reminded me of our early PT mornings at Camp Dodge back during our Home Station Activities. After the run was over and we were dismissed for the time being I felt like stretching my legs out a bit and challenged one of our younger privates to a quick sprint of a few blocks. I lost. I may still be quick, but not as quick as I was ten years ago and still not quick for a long distance. Oh well, at least I was still in good enough condition to even consider sprinting to begin with.
About ten this morning while out in the motor pool the sprinkles started again, followed by a drizzle and a cold, wet breeze that has yet to let up. On my way back to the barracks for lunch the thunder started and by the sound of the steady pace of the rain drops on our metal roofs it doesn’t sound like things will be stopping anytime soon.
I’ve noticed that rain is something people don’t think of right away when talking about the desert. Granted for most of the year the desert doesn’t see any precipitation but it does receive it. I never saw rain in Kuwait last deployment but I do recall days in Ar Ramadi or Al Fallujah this time of year. Back then it had been almost a full year since I’d seen any rain other than a very brief rain/dirt mix at the airport in Baghdad one night. Those rains were refreshing when they first started but by the time the weeks of rain without sunshine were over, it was an annoying occurrence and the dry, hot climate down south was a welcome setting.
The rain today here in Kuwait is both a pleasant change of weather and an annoyance all at the same time. Pleasant because we probably won’t see much after the next month or two once spring and summer gets here. Annoying because we are working outside in our motor pool for when we are assigned our next mission. The rain isn’t strong enough to leave things drenched, but it is heavy enough to keep the sand/dust down. Over all we can’t complain.
Everyone be safe (and stay dry).
~~~
(Picture of a video slate for my old YouTube channel.)



2 comments:
You stay dry and safe also!
well, it's better weather than we have here!!! It's soooo good to have you back! Love you all!
Post a Comment